Thursday, April 12, 2007

New Bed, No Sleep.

I’m pretty much a sleepless, restless zombie at this point. Countdown to the nuptials stands at single digits now (T-minus 9 days as of this morning), and still no rest for the weary. Being an obsessive-compulsive creative control freak doesn’t make it easy to plan a wedding, it turns out. I get up at 6 to catch the train to Nickelodeon, put in my work on SpongeBob for 8 or 9 hours, catch the last train out of Burbank and get home by 8. I walk in, drop the kids off at the pool, and then the real work begins... I’m scanning pictures for the slide show, drawing place-cards for the tables, printing images for the favors, mixing music for the DJ (I’m mixing music ...for the DJ. “Control freak” is an understatement), meeting with the videographers, digitally restoring the aforementioned scanned photos, mixing more music for the slide show, and assembling entertainment units for our new place... all at the same time. I shut down at 2, catch 40, wake up at 6, lather, rinse, and repeat the whole process. Like I said, I’m a zombie. Meanwhile, boxes are in the garage, waiting to be unpacked (which, if you don't know, drives me crazy). Having moved in to the new place last weekend has helped, though. I’m all on my own until after the honeymoon (we’re old-fashioned), so my work space is uncluttered and my focus is undisturbed. The downside is that I’m not getting any time to enjoy being alone in a brand-new house with brand-new furnishings (the latter courtesy of my family), or crashing out in my recliner with the TV on, or the joy of having cereal and beer for dinner. The compromise begins early, I suppose. But I’m not fooling anybody; I’m excited as all heck to marry my best friend. Or at least, I would be, if I had the time. Ah, Hawaii is only 10 days away...